Oh wow, it’s getting cold out there and as we know in Melbourne, being one of Australia’s southern most cities, we are going to get a little chilly.
It’s time to get out those warm socks, scarves, coats and hats, enjoy what our winter has to offer, it’s also time to get out there and enjoy the season.
So here are some tips for survival, the stretches, the warm ups and the exercises to keep us injury free and fit over those months.
Of course, also the winter warmers must include one of our favourite recipes. The Best Ever Parsley Soup is added to this Winter edition of our mail out. Served with a warm roll it will make those chilly nights and days relaxing and enjoyable.
Winter Warm-Up Exercises
Warm-up exercises are important to help prevent strains and sprains and in Winter, where muscles are tighter due to the cold, injuries are more common so WARM UP.
Whether it is a walk, jog, swim, tennis match or skiing the slopes you need to WARM UP.
The Australian Sports Medicine Association suggests warm-ups are good to:
- Prepare the mind and body for activity
- Increase the body temperature
- Increase heart rate
- Increase breathing rate.
All of which are important for getting the most out of your exercise session and to prevent injury.
They also recommend first getting a sweat up before you exercise such as walking, light jogging or jogging on the spot.
Then stretch which can be done by either.
1. Static Stretches: Where a muscle is kept still at a point of stretch
2. Dynamic Stretches: Where movement stretches the muscle. Some points to remember with stretches are:
- which method you choose will depend on your level of fitness, previous injury, or whether you are returning to exercise after injury. Check which is appropriate for you.
- stretch your spine along with your arms and legs. Please feel free to look at some of our stretching videos on our website under the videos link for further information.
If you have any questions of course, please contact us via phone or email and we will be happy to help.
If you need to seek treatment, start-up Pilates or continue with your sessions or need fitness advice don’t hesitate to call or book an appointment here >
Parsley Soup is a Powerhouse
Now, for Parsley soup ‘to die for’ and whilst you dip your crusty roll into the soup it’s interesting to know that the humble parsley soup is quite a powerhouse.
Fun facts about Parsley
The Best Ever Parsley Soup Recipe
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 leeks or 1 white onion
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 rashes of finely sliced bacon
- 3 tablespoons of cream
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 tablespoon of plain flour
- 1 litre of veal or chicken stock
- Salt & Pepper
- Bay leaf or sprig of thyme
Using a food processor, process the parsley together with the onion. Drop the garlic through the feed tube with the machine running until all is finely minced. Melt a teaspoon of butter in a stock pot and gently sauté the parsley/onion/garlic, sprinkle the flour over the parsley mixture and cook for 2 minutes. Add stock, thyme, bay leaf, salt & pepper and simmer for 30 minutes. Grate the carrot. Melt the remaining butter & fry carrot & bacon. Add to soup & simmer for another 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning, add cream & serve. Enjoy!
To make an appointment call on 9670 3996 or BOOK ONLINE today!